Want dessert without the guilt? Just bake this decadent cake that’s made with only nutritious ingredients.
You don’t have to give up dessert if you’re cutting carbs.
This chocolate cake will hit all the right spots. Made with hazelnut meal, dark chocolate and and lots of nuts, you can have seconds of it without the guilt.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
Hazelnut Chocolate Cake with Nut Butter Frosting
- 125g hazelnut meal
- 125g dark chocolate
- 125g coconut oil
- 125g coconut sugar*
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (175g) mixed cashews and hazelnuts (skins removed)
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- ½ cup walnuts, lightly crushed for the top
*We have used coconut sugar for this recipe, but you could substitute with sweetener of your choice if that is not readily available
1. Soak the cashews and hazelnuts in water for 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 160C (conventional) and grease and line the base of a 18cm diameter round cake tin (springform is best for this).
3. Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, place a heat proof bowl over the top and add the dark chocolate and coconut oil.
4. Melt together, stirring frequently until liquid, then remove from heat.
5. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until creamy then add hazelnut meal, coconut sugar, melted chocolate and mix well.
6. Pour into greased and lined cake tin and bake for 40 minutes in the middle of the oven.
7. Whilst the cake is cooking make the frosting.
8. Drain the nuts, then add to a food processor or blender with coconut cream, maple syrup, vanilla, sea salt and raw cacao powder.
9. Blitz until thick and uniform in texture.
10 .Place in fridge to set whilst the cake is cooking and cooling.
11. Once cake is cooked, place on wire rack to cool in tin for about 20 minutes, then remove tin and cool completely.
12. Spread icing over the cake, top with extra walnuts and enjoy!
This recipe has been created by Jacqueline Alwill of Brown Paper Nutrition for Nuts for Life.