If you love your airfryer, you’ll already have been tempted to cook everything under the sun in it. But what cookware can you use?
We all love an airfryer. Crispy, delicious food at the touch of a button, all in one pan. Sign us up.
Adventurous airfryer owners may already know that you can buy airfryer accessory packs off Amazon and the like. But what about the cookware and implements you already have in your cupboard?
We enlisted the help of Chloe Skipp, National Culinary Manager at Appliances Online to help us decode what we can (and what we can’t) put in our airfryer.
Unfortunately you cannot heat up your foods in plastic containers, such as Tupperware and plastic takeaway containers in the airfryer (like you can in a microwave).
The general rule of thumb is what can go in an oven, can also go in the airfryer.
Along the same lines, don’t put your funky wooden serving gear in your airfryer. Not a safe move.
Don’t: Non-stick + Oil
Yes, oil can add a delicious crispiness to your food. However, the non-stick coating of your basket or accessory can break down due to the oil.
“Spray [oil on] your food on another surface and then move food into the basket,” suggests Skipp.
Do’s: Baking Paper
You can certainly put baking paper in your airfryer. In fact, you can purchase the right size little paper inserts .
However, you need to be careful with how you use it.
“If you are placing baking paper in your air fryer, ensure you have enough inside to hold the paper down. With the high temperature it is more likely that the paper can blow around or start to burn.”
If you have fun silicone muffin cases or trays, feel free to use them in your airfyer! It’s a fun way to make deserts and mini frittatas!
Do’s: Ramekins and oven-proof trays
Anything that says its oven-proof can also be used in an airfryer (these can be made of glass, metal, silicone or ceramic).
“Other great items are foil containers, cast iron and copper,” adds Skipp.
You can also go for ceramic ramekins, which are a great option if you have a small capacity airfryer and are just looking to make something little!
If you’re in the market for an airfryer, we’ve pulled together some of the more popular ones you can buy below.
7 of the best airfryers
- Healthy Choice 10L Analogue Multi-Function 1300W Air Fryer, Matt Blatt, $85: It’s a basic airfryer but family size, and can fit a whole chicken. It uses a triple-cooking method with hot turbo air, infrared heat and 360 rotating system for even cooking. You can boil, grill, roast, fry, bake, defrost and more.
- Sunbeam AFP4000WH Copper Infused Duraceramic Air Fryer, Appliances Online, $159 -Arguably one of the more good-looking airfryers on the market, this is a classic airfryer shape and has a decent size tray for cooking.
- Philips HD9218-51 Daily Collection Airfryer, Appliances Online, $239: This is your classic airfryer shape and style and can actually fit a lot of food in it. This Phillips airfryer uses Rapid Air technology, which circulates hot air around the metal mesh cooking basket, cooking food thoroughly and evenly.
- Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer, Amazon Australia, $285: With 11-in-1 functionality it does everything a regular Instant Pot does, but swap out the pressure cooker lid for the innovative air fryer lid, and you’ve got a whole new set of cooking techniques available — all fast, easy and at the touch of a button.
- Sunbeam 4 in 1 Air Fryer and Oven AFP5000BK, Appliances Online, $299: The Sunbeam 4-in-1 Air Fryer and oven provides all the benefits of an air fryer plus a rotisserie oven and dehydrator all in one. It has 4 convenient air fry pre-sets—fries, poultry, veggies, meat—or set it to one of the manual cooking modes—air fry, bake, dehydrate, rotisserie. The included mesh air fryer basket rotates to help cook food more evenly.
- De’Longhi 1.7kg MultiCuisine Cooker, Harvey Norman, $479: This cooker can fit a lot of food for a family, including up to 1.7kg of potatoes! It can cook everything from risotto to cake and comes with a range of other functions including grill function, oven function and pan function.
- Philips HD9650-93 Avance Collection Airfryer XXL,Appliances Online, $499: Not just a fryer as its name would suggest, the unit is equipped with programs for roasting, grilling, baking, and reheating. Thanks to Fat Removal Technology, the fryer will capture and separate excess fat for healthier dishes that don’t compromise on flavour.