If you’re looking for a Christmas Day plate that everyone will be talking about, this is it.
Summer is all about fresh flavours and what better way to showcase Australia’s amazing seafood than with a prawn salad.
Prawns are super high in protein (up to 25 percent), low in calories and fat, and are the centrepiece for this dish, while mango and coconut are the perfect beachy accompaniments.
Ask your grocer to cut open your young coconut or, if you have a cleaver at home, you can (carefully!) do it yourself. Using a spoon, scoop out the soft flesh from the inside and dice.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
Prawn and mango salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
● 2 young coconuts
● 2 mangoes
● 200ml (7 fl oz) coconut cream
● 1 long green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
● Juice of 4 limes
● 1 tbs fish sauce
● 6 spring onions (scallions), sliced
● 20 Crystal Bay green king prawns
1. Peel and finely dice the mangoes and put in a large bowl. Add the coconut flesh, coconut cream, chilli, lime juice, fish sauce and spring onions.
2. Preheat the barbecue hotplate to medium.
3. Cut the prawn in half lengthways and remove the intestine.
4. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a couple of minutes until opaque and just cooked through. Serve drizzled with mango dressing.