While you’d normally associate tacos with salt, spice, and citrus, these sweet versions are a delicious way to start your day. Oh, did we mention they’re healthy? Sold.
These chocolate breakfast wraps are 100 percent vegan, gluten-free and naturally sweetened with banana. They are similar to a thin crepe although smaller and filled with delicious coconut yoghurt, fresh berries and a big drizzle of nut butter to create the perfect, balanced meal.
It’s made with nourishing ingredients including buckwheat flour which is a great source of fibre and a complete protein source with all the essential amino acids and flax seed which is high in omega 3 fatty acids and lignans (a type of phytoestrogen).
Sweet breakfast tacos
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1x flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal with 2 tbsp water)
- Coconut yoghurt
- Fresh berries
- Nut butter
- Coconut oil for greasing pan
- Prepare flax egg and leave for 5 minutes
- In a high-speed blender, add the buckwheat flour, oat flour, cacao powder, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract, water, plant-based milk, banana, and thickened flax egg
- Blend until well combined
- Heat a pan on medium heat with a little coconut oil
- Pour roughly ¼ cup batter on the pan, using the back of a spoon, spread batter out in a circular motion to create a medium-thin round wrap
- Cook for roughly 1-2 minutes on each side. Wrap should form bubbles and a crispy edge before flipping
- Once completed, top with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, fresh berries and a drizzle of nut butter
Tamika Datson is a health and wellness publicist, recipe creator, and blogger at The Nourished Bite. She is an advocate for healthy living, both physically and mentally, and aims to inspire you to live a wholesome, active, and balanced lifestyle.