For the perfect post-workout snacks, try these textured nutty chocolate granola bars from Centr’s Sergio Perera (FYI Perera is also Chris Hemsworth’s nutrition consultant and on-set chef!). They save on calories and give you a boost of much-needed energy.
Looking for a healthier alternative to Snickers bars? These granola bars will satisfy your chocolatey sweet-tooth and provide you with healthy fats (derived from the nutritious almonds and coconut oil).
Plus, you can make it vegan depending on the type of dark chocolate you use!
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
Nutty granola bar
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 40 min
- 3⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup flaxseed meal
- 2⁄3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 60g pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tbs almond butter
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 45g 70 per cent dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 175℃ and line a 20 x 20 cm square tin with baking paper. Arrange oats and almonds on a baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until slightly toasted. Remove. Reduce oven heat to 160°C.
- Combine flaxseed meal, desiccated coconut, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl. Add dates, toasted oats, and almonds, and stir together.
- Place almond butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup into a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring well. Remove from heat, pour into dry mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Spread mixture evenly into lined tin, pressing down until flat. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl melt chocolate in the microwave in 30-second increments. Once the slice has cooled, use a spoon to drizzle chocolate over top. Cut into bars.
Sergio Perera is the in-house chef for health and fitness platform Centr.