For the perfect healthy dinner inspo, whip up this low-carb high-protein chicken dish that has the CSIRO tick of approval.
Healthy cooking doesn’t have to be difficult.
Exhibit A: this healthy ginger chicken stir fry.
Not only is it packed with vegetables and protein, but one serving only contains nine grams of carbs.
This recipe makes four servings, so it’s the perfect family dish or one to meal-prep for the week ahead.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter to read more stories like this.
CSIRO ginger chicken stir fry
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 600 g lean turkey breast fillet, thinly sliced
- 5 cm piece ginger, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 bunches Chinese broccoli, trimmed and cut into 4 cm lengths
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 225 g tin sliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 cups (180 g) bean sprouts
- 2 long green chillies, thinly sliced
- 250 g fresh cauliflower rice (see note)
- 80 g unsalted toasted cashews, chopped
- Lime wedges, to serve (optional)
1. Combine the oil, turkey and ginger in a bowl and season with freshly ground black pepper.
2. Heat a large non-stick wok over high heat. Add the turkey in three batches and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes each or until just cooked and golden. Transfer to a clean bowl.
3. Add the broccoli, soy sauce and bamboo shoots to the wok and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes or until just wilted. Return the turkey to the wok and toss to combine. Remove the wok from the heat and toss through the bean sprouts and chilli.
4. Meanwhile, heat the cauliflower rice according to the packet instructions.
5. Divide the cauliflower rice and turkey stir-fry among bowls, sprinkle with the cashews and serve with the lime wedges, if desired.
Note: You can find fresh cauliflower rice in the fresh produce section at your local supermarket. If unavailable, use the frozen variety instead.
This recipe is an extract from ‘The CSIRO Low-Carb Diabetes Diet & Lifestyle Solution’ by Professor Grant Brinkworth and Dr Pennie Taylor. Macmillan Australia, RRP $36.99, Available 25th August. Photography by Rob Palmer.