There’s a clear reason why this mac and cheese was voted the best recipe of 2020 on Chris Hemsworth’s fitness app Centr. Did we mention it’s also incredibly healthy?
Dan Churchill’s take on the classic American mac and cheese has been named Centr app’s #1 most popular recipe of the year thanks to its delicious taste and sneaky inclusion of veggies.
Try it for yourself and you’ll understand why everyone raves about it. Honestly, it’s the comfort food that we’ve all needed during this stressful year,
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
A healthy colourful mac and cheese recipe from Chris Hemsworth’s Centr app
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 25 min
- 200g macaroni or elbow pasta
- 400g broccoli cut into small florets
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups (80g) baby spinach leaves
- 3⁄4 cup (90g) tasty cheese grated
- 1⁄4 cup (30g) parmesan grated
- 1⁄3 cup (35g) almond meal
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 100g mixed salad leaves
- 2 tsp lemon juice
1. Bring a pot of water to the boil, add a pinch of salt and cook pasta according to packet instructions. Add broccoli in the last two minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving some of the water and set aside.
2. At the same time, heat a non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes to caramelise.
3. Add flour and mustard and cook, whisking for a minute.
4. Whisking constantly, gradually add milk and continue to whisk for 5 minutes or until the sauce is smooth and thickened. Adjust seasoning.
5. Add drained pasta and broccoli, spinach, two thirds of the tasty cheese (reserving the rest for the topping) and all the parmesan and stir to combine. You may need to add a little pasta water if too thick. Adjust seasonings and transfer to a heat proof dish.
6. Preheat grill. In a small bowl, combine remaining cheese, almond meal and oregano and season with salt and pepper.
7. Scatter over pasta and place under grill for 5 minutes or until golden.
8. Toss salad leaves with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Divide pasta between plates and serve with salad.
For more recipes like this, sign up to Centr here. You can also follow Dan Churchill on Instagram @dan_churchill.