While traditional mash potatoes are delicious, the cheese, butter and milk can leave you feeling a little heavy. This vegan alternative has all the comforting qualities of a classic mash but on the lighter side.
Now that winter has arrived, there might be no better comfort food than mashed potatoes, but with butter, milk, and quite often cheese, it can leave you feeling on the heavy side.
Enter the super versatile cauliflower, which serves as the base for this recipe.
This vegan alternative uses spinach, garlic, and cauliflower as a lighter, but no less flavoursome alternative, while almond milk provides the creaminess you still want from this classic side dish without weighing you down.
Like what you see? Sign up to our bodyandsoul.com.au newsletter for more stories like this.
Spinach, Garlic And Cauliflower Mash
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 cups Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 140g baby spinach
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Cut off the top 1/3 of the garlic heads and place on a double layer of foil. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, wrap tightly, and roast until very tender, about 45 minutes.
- When garlic is done, in a large saucepan combine cauliflower and Califia Farms almond milk. Cover, bring to a boil, and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes.
- While cauliflower cooks, in a medium pan heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted. Transfer to a colander and press lightly with a spatula to drain off any liquid.
- Squeeze roasted garlic cloves into pot with cauliflower and add spinach. Use an immersion blender to puree cauliflower (or transfer cauliflower, spinach, and garlic to a food processor and process until smooth).
- Add salt to taste.
This recipe is courtesy of Califia Farms.